I LOVE the holidays! And one of the best parts is pie, but making a good crust can be difficult. I’ve had to dry and crumbly, greasy, and something that tasted cardboard. Thank goodness for wonderful friends with yummy recipes who share (thank you Sarah!). If you haven’t figured out today will be about pie, and my favorite pie, pumpkin!
- 1c Tapioca flour
- 3/4c Rice flour
- 1/2c Sorghum flour
- 1 tsp Xanthan gum
- 1 tsp Guar gum
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Baking soda
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2c Lard (it must be lard. Not butter not crisco, lard)
- 1/2c Milk
- 1 tsp Vinegar or Lemon
- Mix dry ingredients together then cut in the lard.
- Once crumble add the milk and vinegar until a ball forms.
- Shape into 2 disks about 1″ thick, then refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Massage disk until pliable then roll out on floured dusted counter with rolling pin. Place in pie pan, put in toppings and bake as usual.
- Buy a large can of pumpkin puree and follow instructions on the can.
I know that some of you might have expected something more on the pumpkin filling but hey, the holidays are awesome but busy. However something fun that I like to add to my pumpkin pies is a cut out in the middle. I take the extra dough from the pie crust roll it out a little thick and then take a cookie cutter and place the cut out in the middle right before I bake the pie.
Quick note though, check your pie and make sure your cust isn’t getting too dark. If it is, just place some foil over the top and place back in the oven to finish baking. Hope this helps make your holiday a little better and yummier.